USHEPiA’s mission is to promote collaboration amongst established African researchers in the generation and dissemination of knowledge, and to build institutional and human capacity in African universities. The ultimate goal is to build on existing potential to develop a network of African researchers capable of addressing the developmental requirements of Sub-Saharan Africa. We thus aim to turn Centres of Excellence into Networks of Excellence.
We aim to do this by:
- Identifying areas of strength on which to build
- Ensuring mutual benefits in any collaboration
- Emphasizing staff development
- Developing sustainable research collaboration
- Concentrating research in fields particularly appropriate to Africa’s needs
- Sharing access to specialised facilities
- Producing joint research papers in quality journals.
Over the years, the project has been generously supported by the Rockefeller Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation, the Coca Cola Foundation, the Ridgefield Foundation, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the partner institutions themselves. Without their generous support this programme would never have been possible.